Who should hire a Private Investigator?
A great variety of people can benefit from the services of a private investigator, depending upon their situation.
For example, an investigator is an invaluable member of your legal team for child custodies, personal injury and civil litigation, providing your attorney with information critical to winning your case.
An investigator can conduct interviews, take witness statements, and provide surveillance, all in support of your litigation.
Investigators are also used to locate missing persons, perform asset searches, conduct criminal investigations, to name a few.
Investigators also provide valuable services to businesses in providing background investigations, undercover operations, fraud investigations and workplace security.
What should I do before hiring an investigator?
It is vitally important that you interview the prospective investigator and make sure he answers all questions to your satisfaction. Questions you should ask include:
- Are you licensed? Ask to see the license and call the state licensing board to verify it and check for any complaints.
- Are you insured? Ask for proof of insurance.
- What is your prior investigative experience? Check the references you are given.
- Who will actually perform the work I am paying for? You don't want to pay for an experienced investigator and get a trainee.
- What professional associations do you belong to? Call the associations and make sure the investigator is in good standing.
What can I expect to pay?
Plan on between $65 and $95 per hour plus costs and mileage for most cases. You may be able to hire an investigator for less, but beware of letting cost alone be the determining factor.
How can I expect the investigator to handle my case?
A reputable investigator will provide you with the highest standard of investigative service and will extend every effort to obtain the information necessary for your case. Do not expect your investigator to do anything that would compromise his ethical standards. A good investigator will do all his work in a professional, legal and ethical manner. Beyond that, you should expect to be treated courteously, to have your phone calls returned promptly, to be provided with an itemized statement and to receive a high-quality, professionally-written report, should you request one.